Monday, July 16, 2012

Speechless...

Well... After 32 hours of travel and 16 hours of sleep...We finally made it!! Our first flight was great... Our second- not so much. Very hot and long. We arrived in Nairobi around 6:15 am.




This is the African sunrise from the airplane.... Breathtaking.
Everything went very smoothly through customs and baggage claim. We were greated by our wonderful driver, Kelvin. He took us straight to JAVA, the coffee house. We were all in need of a couple of shots of espresso in order to face the day! Our next stop was the Nakumat, it is similar to the Kenyan Kmart. We picked up some bottled water and things and then headed to Limuru. Limuru is small village about 45 minutes outside of Nairobi. The drive from Nairobi to Limuru was incredible.




This is the view from our compound.... Also breathtaking.
I am having a hard time formulating the words to describe all the emotions that I have felt over the past 24 hours. Humbled would not even begin to scratch the surface.

Today we went to the orphanage. We arrived before the kids got home from school so the Moms put us to work. We helped clean "sukuma" . Sukuma is very similar to the turnip greens. It is a Kenyan staple. I have not tasted them yet, but I can't wait to try them. When the kids arrived,we had some time to play. We played ball and bubbles. We had a ball! They have some of the biggest smiles and hearts that I have ever seen. It humbles me to know only a few of their heart wrenching stories and see that they are still loving and living life to the fullest. I am really excited about getting to know each of them better.

Tomorrow, we are going to Cheshire Home for Girls. I am very excited to meet all the women and hear their stories. We are planning on doing the salvation bracelet craft with them. I don't really know what all the expect, but I know that God is working.
"You thrill me, LORD, with all you have done for me! I sing for joy because of what you have done. O LORD, what great works you do! And how deep are your thoughts." Psalm 92:4-5

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear from you! I've been checking for a post off and on all day to make sure y'all made it. I'm already loving the stories and can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you made it safely! God is already working in and through you! Will be praying for the salvation bracelet activity tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely! The sukuma wiki is made from kale, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah!! So glad you made it! Can't wait to hear more!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the blog. Prayers and hugs for you. We love you. Kathy and Turner

    ReplyDelete